Friday, April 28, 2006

Food for Thought

In the interest of reducing my ecological footprint, I'm finally getting around to making my very own vermicomposter. What does this have to do with food, you ask? Well, according to the EPA, food waste accounts for almost 12 percent of the garbage generated annually. Add lawn clippings to that, and we're up to one-quarter of the municipal solid waste stream.

So, I bought two 35-quart bins and tonight I'll drill holes in the bottom and sides of one, and set it inside the other. Hopefully this will keep the compost from becoming a soupy mess. Oh, yes, and I have to buy worms - red wiggers (eisenia fetida) to be precise. In six months I should have beautiful organic fertilizer for my houseplants.

If you're curious about how to set up a vermicomposting system, a Kalamazoo woman named Mary Appelhof has written "the bible" on the subject: Worms Eat My Garbage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having no head for measurements, how long do you think it will it take before you've filled up the 35 qts?

Anonymous said...

Sweet! We plan to do something like that at the new place.