Thursday, October 05, 2006

Apple Gleaning and Not-So-Random Crap

I went out gleaning in an apple orchard in Ada today. We picked 1,860 pounds of Red Delicious and Gala apples. I wish I could have done more gleaning this summer, since it feels good to get outside and do something, but I was busy driving to Detroit and Lansing for classes.

This past Sunday I cleaned out my vermicomposting bin for the first time. I ended up with about 13 pounds of worm poop, which I divvied up among friends. I counted 160 worms, not including some recently hatched babies. I also found lots of cocoons, which look like tiny yellow bbs (I would venture to say that they were 2-3 millimeters in diameter). Exciting! I haven't decided whether we'll be taking the bin with us to Seattle or leaving it with someone who wants to vermicompost.

The picture above is of the 2006 Michigan Apple Queen. I wasn't aware there was such a thing. Honeycrisps, a relatively new variety of apple, are my favorites, though the apples we had off the tree at the bottom of our hill when I was growing up (Wolf River, I think?) are a close second.

1 comment:

Jackie Parker said...

You clearly haven't watched enough Food Network! The Apple Queen shows up on random crap there surprisingly often. lol