Monday, December 04, 2006

Anti-Turkey Day

It's been a while since my last post, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Anti-Turkey Day feast at my friends' house in Seattle a couple Thursdays ago. Our friends Kristy and Jay played host, preparing veggie chili, enchiladas, and salad with homemade dressing. I made two kinds of potatoes, hummus, and tofu pumpkin cheesecake from Sarah Kramer's latest book. Jackie brought stuffing, pink dessert, and three bottles of wine (though she needs far less to feel tipsy!).

Our afternoon and evening were spent stuffing ourselves, not a bird, for which I was thankful. Though I've never sampled Tofurky, I've heard comments ranging from "pretty good" to "tastes like cardboard." I think I'll skip it. For what others think of Tofurky, click here and here.

Since Jackie came all the way from Spokane to dine with us, I made her mom's mashed potato recipe, which was quite tasty and reheats nicely.


Swedish Green Potatoes

6 potatoes, peeled
1 stick butter/margarine (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
3/4 c. light sour cream
2 t salt (maybe a little more)
1 t sugar
1/4 t pepper
2 T chopped chives or onion
1 1/2 t dill (often a touch more)
1 pkg. (10 oz) chopped spinach, thawed

Cook potatoes and mash. Mix in butter, sour cream, salt, sugar, pepper, chives and dill. Squeeze moisture out of spinach and add to potatoes. With electric mixer combine until fluffy. Place in greased casserole and bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Jackie Parker said...

You aren't eating, are you?

Rachel said...

Yes, sometimes ;)