Saturday, August 19, 2006

Blue Plate Special


Brandon and I biked to Cherry Deli one sunny evening the other week. They've expanded their vegetarian options, and I had a hard time choosing which sandwich to sample. Luckily, the girl behind the counter recommended the Giddings, an awesome veggie reuben sandwich featuring squash and zucchini. It was a three-napkin sandwich, and I kept wiping at what I imagined was a ring of Russian dressing forming around my mouth after every bite. So good!

So naturally I had to try to recreate this masterpiece at home. I sauteed some zucchini and yellow squash, and added shredded cabbage and avocado (to replace the cheese) in between two slices of marbled rye. I used the russian dressing recipe from Food Network's Vegetarian Reuben, substituting Nayonaise for mayo. I served it with a side of pretty Terra sweet potato chips. Pretty good, but no Cherry Deli sandwich. Plus, Cherry Deli names all of their creations after streets, parks, and other locations in Grand Rapids. What could be cooler than that? For a list of their selections, click here.

1 comment:

Jackie Parker said...

Either way, it sounds fab.